Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Follow -up


Well, today is 2 weeks and 1 day post surgery. How do I feel? Well, actually not too bad. I still have allot of pain and I do mean allot. However, I have range of motion back and I walk with very little limp. The ladies at Dr. Crowell's office mentioned that right off this morning. I am also not using my cane, YIPPEE!!!

Dr. Crowell is of the opinion that I need to have a high tibial osteotomy. This essentially redistributes where the weight bearing is for the knee. They take a wedge out of the tibia then pull together the edges. I looked it up http://www.kneesociety.org/index.asp/fuseaction/site.kneeOsteo The surgery looks painful and the recover doesn't look like a picnic either!

I will return to see Dr. Crowell in 4 weeks, in the mean time he will be contacting Dr. Vanderschilden. (at least that's who I believe he said) He works at UAMS and is apparently a good Dr. but I've heard that before! LOL Oh, I drifted, so sorry! Anyway, Dr. Crowell will contact this Dr. and see if the thinks I am a candidate for this surgery and then find out if he would take me on as a patient. Then if he gives the go-a-head we have to work and try to get Workers Comp to approve it. I hope they will as it is one doctor referring to another doctor, it won't be like I am the one requesting. If we get past that hurdle then we have to work on getting WC to approve the surgery. I am praying that all goes well!!!!

The surgery has a very long recovery. I won't want to have it until after Nick leaves for Iraq, but want to have it as soon as possible after. Why? He wants us to be there when he boards to plane. He says the family can wait with the soldiers while waiting for the plane to be loaded. I of course want to be there to see him off.

So that is the scoop. I'm sure I left stuff off. If I did, just let me know or ask and I'll tell you.
Have a wonderful day!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As you know I had a high tibial osteotomy and it made a world of difference and did buy me 15 years. It took 7 weeks and lots and lots of work on my part to get better. If you can find a pool, walking, running and then jogging in a pool is the best excercise to do once your incision heals. Once I recovered, I was able to do drill (remember I was in the army at the time) after that. You will love life a whole lot more after your HTO, honest!!!